Wednesday Addendum

Maybe for me the word should be spelled “Addendumb.”

I was remiss in not thanking 56packardman once again for his posting a link on the Studebaker and Packard forums to yesterday’s Disaffected Musings statement” and to the readers on those forums for clicking on the links to drive the number of yesterday’s views to even more than those of the day before. Every now and then I receive glimpses of the potential of the Internet and of this blog.


In my opinion life is way too short not to speak your mind, at least most of the time. The only constraint is that one need not be crass and vulgar. One shouldn’t go out of their way to offend someone, but one shouldn’t live in constant fear of doing so. Sometimes, offending someone is the only way to get their attention.


Tired of the pre-war cars? OK…


See the source image


From Wikipedia a picture of the ferocious and beautiful Lexus LFA. Yesterday, a friend of mine and I took a trip to another state (thanks, C/2) to see and to test drive a car that another friend of mine in a state far, far away has interest in purchasing. This friend is just not comfortable in the modern idiom of buying a car totally sight unseen.

So, what does that have to with the LFA? The car, not a Lexus, was/is being offered at a Lexus dealer. When I saw the Lexus LCs on the lot that got me thinking about the LFA.

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear and The Grand Tour fame called the LFA the best car he’s ever driven, even with the small gas tank and no cup holders. Lexus made just 500 of these cars from December, 2010 through December, 2012. From the public comments of some high-ranking Lexus executives, it doesn’t appear likely that Lexus will be making cars like these anytime soon, which is a shame.

The LFA was powered by a 4.8 liter V-10 engine producing 552 HP/354 LB-FT (?) of torque. Oh, it had an automatic transmission that could be paddle-shifted manually. The engine could rev to 9,000 RPM in less than one second so it had to be fitted with a digital tachometer as no analog tach could keep up. From Wikipedia,

“The Lexus LFA’s frame is made from an in-house designed and manufactured carbon fibre-reinforced polymer (CFRP) centre monocoque with aluminium front and rear subframes. The subframes, which can be removed and replaced minimising potential repair costs, are joined to the monocoque using a newly developed aluminium flanged collar designed to create a stronger joint. According to the manufacturer, the quality of the CFRP material matches that of aeronautical grades and is woven by a laser monitored circular loom, one of only two in the world. Overall 65% of the vehicle’s total body mass is CFRP material while the remaining 35% is aluminium.”

People who look down on hypercars and supercars with disdain (I call them self-righteous and ignorant snobs, just speaking my mind) don’t understand that, very often, the technology used to manufacture these cars and that is used in these cars finds its way into “regular” cars. It’s amazing and annoying how often people speak without command of facts.







If you like this blog please tell your friends and share the blog URL ( Thanks.